Wednesday, May 4, 2011

5/4/2011

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the first ever Bay Area Current sports blog. My name is Pat, and I am your host for now and forever. I hope to be able to take the current Bay Area sports happenings and put my own spin on them. I'll gladly provide my 8 cents, and would love anyone and everyone's feedback. I promise not too be too cynical, but I'm going to call it like I see it, that's why they pay me the big bucks. You're probably saying to yourself, "great, another sports blog. What's so different about this guy compared to other blogs? Other PROFESSIONAL blogs?" Well, nothing really. But, I'm 22, I know what I'm talking about and I have no one above me to question my opinion and no corporate slant that I must adhere to.

Topic numero uno, ever:

Jose Reyes.

As some of you may know, CSNBayarea.com Insider Mychael Urban reported last nite that the San Francisco Giants have had internal discussions about trading for Mets shortstop Jose Reyes.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/05/03/11/img-srchttpcsnbayareacomcommonglobal_ima/l_sfgiants.html?blockID=516049&feedID=2796
First and only reaction by any right minded Giants fan should be "Um...So?" Basically, big whoop. Every general manager on every team has begun internal discussions about every player in the league. And what exactly does "internal discussions" mean? It's cooler talk. It's the same conversation that every Giants fan who is frustrated by the team's and especially Miguel Tejada's lack of production has had.

Top Exec 1: "What do you think about Jose Reyes?"
Top Exec 2: "He's really good, and available. Wanna get him?"
1: "Hmm...it'd be pretty cool."
2: "Yeah, it would."

Boom, shocker! End of conversation. Think about it people, although we could possibly acquire this amazing talent for members of our farm system...aren't we past the "sell the future to win now?" phase. That, thankfully ended in 2007, when Bonds uh, um, wasn't resigned/became a free agent/still refuses to retire. Anyway, Reyes is a $100 million guy, and we cannot afford that. We need to give money like that to our own guys, namely Tim, Matt, Blackbeard, etc. Our payroll is higher now, just about $120 mil., 25% of which is paid to 2 PLAYERS. As fans, we should calm down, hope for the best and know that there are plenty of other options around the league on plenty of other teams. Let's consider dishing out the big bucks after 2013 when big Z is finally off the books.

Take care everybody, I'll be back soon. Go Giants! Go Sharks!

Stay Current,
Pat

2 comments:

  1. 22 huh?....impressive wisdom for a "whipper snapper"...I will visit often. Good luck!
    Go Giants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's the number one person I go Yo for my latest sports info!!! You bru! Keep that up ima be posted on here like a street light.

    Maurice

    ReplyDelete